||In 1824, John Rennie's plans were accepted.
The bridge was built 180 feet west of the old Bridge and for
a time Londoners could see both the old bridge and the new side-by-side.
On June 15, 1825, the Lord Mayor of London, John Garratt, laid
the first stone, in the presence of the Duke of York. John Rennie
died in 1821 and his second son - also called John then took
over the work.
|This London Bridge was built out of granite
which was quarried on Dartmoor. It was a structure of 5 arches,
overall dimensions were 928 feet long and 49 feet wide.
When the new bridge was finished and opened by King William
and Queen Adelaide in 1831, traffic switched to the huge new
structure and the demolition commenced on the old bridge. John
Rennie was then knighted for his work.