Click to return home Click to return home
 
About the Trust
The Museum
Bridge History
Our Sponsors
Contact Us
Useful Links
Our Mastermind

Go Directly To:
Roman Times
Saxon & Norman
Early Mediaeval
Late Mediaeval
Tudor Times
Georgian Period
The New Bridge
The Rennie Bridge
Victorian Period
Bridge to America
The Present Day
Website Dedication
Click to see full size The old Chapel remains were dismantled as well and Peter de Colechurch's bones were found but these were thrown in the river, an unceremonious end to the man who had built the bridge which had served London for six hundred years.
The new bridge, wide and spacious was busy at once and even more so when the railways came to London, and London Bridge Station opened just south of London Bridge. Soon a new bridge user, "the commuter" joined the bridge's traffic and thousands crossed Sir John Rennie's bridge everyday and became its most familiar scene. Click to see full size
Click to see full size At both ends new developments took place and squares were created north and south where gracious steps led down to the river, used by riverboats and steamers.These stairs still exist hidden in the new abutments of the Twentieth Century Bridge. In 1902-04, the bridge was widened by slotting stone brackets into the masonry, increasing the space between the parapets to 65 feet and the footpath to 15 feet.


© London Bridge Museum & Educational Trust